South Perth affords some of the best views of the City from across the Swan River. This spectacle draws many to live in the neighbourhood and/or jog along the Esplanade or wander through Sir James Mitchell or McCallum Parks that fringe the northern edge of the suburb, bounded by the beautiful Swan River itself.
With the Royal Perth Golf Course, Wesley College and Perth Zoo, and only minutes from the Perth CBD (over the Causeway or Narrows bridges) South Perth is a very desirable suburb consistently appreciating above 11% per annum.
It has paths for bicycling and walking. Along it there are two ferry terminals; the main one at Mends Street (servicing the Zoo and Mends Street area) and a less-serviced one at Coode Street which runs only during peak period during week days.
HISTORY: after the establishment of the Swan River Colony, most development tended to take place north of the Swan River. By 1831, the land along the river had been allocated amongst seven people, and the land was being partially utilised for farming. A mill was built in 1833 and a ferry across the Swan river via the Narrows was established.
The real estate boom of the 1880s, which coincided with the discovery of gold in the Kimberley saw a slow but appreciable growth in the number of residents. The Zoological Gardens and the Royal Perth Golf Club were opened in 1898 and the area became popular with tourists from the town of Perth across the river.